Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Introduction

There's me, Hubby of 7 years, and our beautiful Samuel who was born the day before our 2 year wedding anniversary (for the math-impaired, that makes him 5 as of this post).



When I was in college I took some education courses, thinking I would teach high school math, and while researching for a paper on math anxiety in girls, I found one lonely book on homeschooling in the stacks. Being the procrastinator I am, I read it instead of the books for my paper, and became an instant homeschooling advocate.



When I was in college, before I found out life doesn't always happen as planned, I had these plans -


  1. Graduate and teach high school

  2. Marry my high school sweetheart

  3. Have my first child by 25, preferable twins

  4. Homeschool my 2 children

  5. Live happily ever after

Ahh, the dreams of youth...notice I didn't even make it past 30 in this plan! Well, I graduated from college, married Hubby at 32, had Samuel at 34, and here I am at 40 (again, for the math-impaired, plus I tricked you because I just had a birthday) still working on the happily ever-after.



Since one of my basic philosophies as a parent is that parents are the most important teachers, I believe I have been homeschooling Samuel since infancy. But please know that this isn't the flashcard/teach-your-baby-to-read kind of education. Mostly it has come from reading extensively, singing songs, and playing games. I did send him to a preschool - first, two-day two's, then 3-day three's, then 4-day fours (the "days" being mornings only). He learned some things I hadn't thought to teach him yet, like his last name when he was 2 and the pledge of allegiance when he was 4, but for the most part, I felt like his primary teacher. He learned to read and knew some basic math. I had a curriculum, kind of, but mostly it was lists of books which I checked out of the library. When I learn more about blogger, I may post my "preschool" curriculum.



And that pretty much brings us up to date, with Samuel starting Kindergarten in September and us beginning our first year of "after-schooling".

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Good to see you here :) I look forward to hearing how your year goes. Kindergarten is such an exciting time of learning!

    ReplyDelete