Monday, December 28, 2009

What We're Up To

Life is a little more hectic in the first grade than in previous years. I find myself with not as much to say or time to say it in. Here are some of the learning activities we've been doing:

Budgeting - using the Kid's Wealth Program.

Crafts - including painted and decorated wall letters and Christmas ornaments.

Math - for some reason he likes flash cards right now, so in addition to "living math" he is up to the 8's in addition and 7's in subtraction.

Art and Music Appreciation - saw The Nutcracker for the first time, as well as attended the lower and upper school Christmas Cantata which is a Lessons and Carols format

Compassion - shopped for two Christmas children and worked at the "toy store" for one charity's gift distribution.

Chores - cleaning, folding and putting away clothes, setting the table, helping in the kitchen.

Reading - began team-reading (I read one page, he reads the next, etc.) his first real chapter book, even if it is "twaddle".

Literature - read a wide variety of Christmas tales and poetry (Christian and secular) every day from Thanksgiving until December 26. I didn't keep an exact list of these, but I worked from another blog's list that I had cut and pasted a couple of years ago to my own Word Document, so I can probably re-create a list and may do that in a subsequent post.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Hope you had a great Christmas!

    About The Best Christmas Pageant Ever....I wanted you to know that I have read the book. = ) However, the movie was a made-for-TV deal back in 1983, and I saw it several times before I ever read the book. And then here's the kicker...the author of the book actually wrote the screenplay! Most of the dialogue from the movie is straight out of the book. I'm mostly a "the book is way better than the movie" person, but in this case, I think they're pretty interchangable. You should see it sometime!

    ~Kellie
    The Pirate Mom

    ReplyDelete